Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mardi Gras



“You know, you are adopted.”

My brother took wicked delight in taunting me as we watched television in the basement of my parents house on Edgewater drive.

“Why would you say that?”

He was seventeen to my my seven years old, and age is how he explained that he had rights to the entire corduroy couch to stretch out upon and I should sit quietly on the floor.

“Well, you are the only one with green eyes in the entire family. So that means you are adopted.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah. I’m sure. And you know that means that you will always be less loved. You know, because you aren’t really part of the family.”

My green eyes narrowed.

“That’s mean Gunther. You are just trying to be mean.”

“Okay. You can think that. But until you are sure, you should be extra nice to me and I’ll try to include you a little more.”

“Gee. Thanks Gunther.”

“And you could start by giving me all the candy you have sitting there in your Easter Basket.”

“The candy that the Easter Bunny left for me?”

Gunther used the remote to flick through the channels on the TV.

“Yeah. About that. There really isn’t an Easter Bunny. It’s candy from Mom and Dad. Well, from my Mom and Dad.”

“Oh.”

“And I only want the black jelly beans, so pick those out for me. No green ones. The green ones are gross. The color green is gross. Gross.”

"I like Green"

"Well, you are weird. Nobody likes green."

"I guess I'm different."

"Well, I think we have established that."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails