Sunday, September 10, 2006

No Easy Way



The National Center For Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion web site offers a list of tips to help you quite smoking.

1. Don’t smoke any number or any kind of cigarette.
2. Write down why you want to quit.
3. Know that it will take effort to quit smoking.
4. Half of all adult smokers have quit, so you can— too.
5. Get help if you need it.

I need help.

This is much harder than I thought and I think it’s time to admit I can’t do this on sheer will power. All I want to do is consume any and all sorts of food. It’s so cliché I can’t stand it.

I’ve decided to use the help of a book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. I heard about the book on a tour through Northern England. A British woman with a barely decipherable accent explained that it had changed her life and the day she finished the book she smoked her last cigarette. She gave it to me and it has sat unopened on my shelf, collecting dust for the past two years.

I’m ready to crack it open because I want to stop smoking. I want my best health. When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, my gynecologist told me that smoking would increase my own chances of breast cancer. That should be reason enough to quit.

But this is harder than I thought.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails